Recipe - Chicken and Sausage Stewed Okra
Here is a tasty dinner dish that is full of vegetables and lean proteins. A perfect recipe for a summer potluck, to share with clients, or make for yourself. Thanks to NEP DPG member Traci Causey for sharing the deliciousness!
Chicken and Sausage Stewed Okra
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 13 oz smoked turkey sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound thinly sliced chicken breast
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 pounds okra, stemmed and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 5-6 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped (may substitute with 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup water
1. Cut sausage into 1/4 inch slices. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and 1/2 chopped onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is lightly browned (approximately 3-4 minutes). Remove and set aside.
2. Cut chicken into bite-sized pices, then season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute for about 5 minutes or until done. Remove and set aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet. Add the minced garlic and remaining onion and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes. Add the chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin seeds, and turmeric. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the okra and cook for 2 minutes, tossing. Add the tomatoes and cook for about 1 minute over medium heat. Add the water, cover and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the sausage and chicken and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
Serve with steamed brown rice.